Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Update on Keira

Thanks for all the love and concern we have felt from everyone! It was a pretty tramatic experience, but we seem to be doing better. That's to say, our hearts have returned to normal rythm, and Keira hasn't had another seizure. Sunday night during the middle of the night Keira woke up with all the tell-tale symtoms of croup, so it did get a little worse before it got better, but nothing to bad. We took her to the Dr on Monday and confirmed that she has croup in addition to ear and throat infections... our families sickness of the year! I talked to my Dr about the seizure and after getting all the details he concluded that it was probably a Febrile Seizure, but there's no real way of explaining what exactly caused it, unless she has another one and there is a pattern. I wondered how a minor 99.7 degree temperature could cause a seizure and he explained that sometimes it's not the degree of the temperature, but how quickly it rises that can cause a seizure, but then he reiterated that it was just a theory seeing as there's no way of knowing for sure. He did say that since she's had one she's at high risk of having another one, especially since it runs in the family. I talked to my mom about the seizures I had and she said they happened when I was about 2 and a half and the two seizures I had were within a week apart. I then talked to my sister (her daughter had seizures caused by her holding her breath when she was angry when she was about 1 yrs old) and she also said that her daughter had the first two seizures within one week of each other. With that info (even if it's not medical advice) we're keeping a close eye on her in the next little bit, making sure not to leave her alone anywhere that could cause her damage if she were to have a seizure and fall over.

So, that's where we are right now. Just anxiously waiting and hoping it doesn't happen again, while watching her like a hawk.

On a side note, the night Keira had a seizure I was trying out a new recipe of stuffed green peppers and had only gotten two bites in when this all happened. I didn't finish it that night and the next day when I tried to eat it again I was fighting my brain, because all the memories of the night before were tied to the dinner. I'm happy to say I was able to use mind over matter and my peppers tasted delicious! Success! :P haha

6 comments:

DeAnna said...

I am glad for the follow up post! I was so sad when I read that last one, I read it out loud to Andrew and I couldn't get all the way through it without getting all choked up! I hope she is feeling better..and you too :)

Becky said...

Whew! Good news. Thanks for keeping us up to speed. I hope this next week is uneventful for Keira and her security crew. Hope she is feeling better soon too.
Congrats on the peppers! :)

Unknown said...

oh my goodness betsy what a scare! i totally pictured that happening to my connor and i can't even imagine how scary it would be to watch that happen! i am glad that everything is ok! i loved reading ur previous post and seeing how strong u are your faith are!

The Dahle's said...

ok so i just saw that my last post showed up as kailey lol. i guess i was signed in my sister's account still. so the last post is me amber :)

Tink said...

I'm so glad she is doing better! It nice that you have family who has gone through all this before.

Ashlee said...

We're so glad everything is getting better! I just barely found out today and you will be in our prayers!