Thursday, September 8, 2011

Garrett Goes To School

I suppose an update is in order.  I had the meeting with the preschool teacher and she retested Garrett in a few areas.  Apparently when they tested him at the testing center there was one area where he was borderline, and they are normally suppose to retest the kids when they're borderline.  They said that because he just turned 4 and they were comparing him to all 4 year olds they were going to assume he's fine.  The preschool teacher said that they were wrong and should have retested him, but were probably just avoiding it because they were to busy.  Ha!  So the area that he needed to be retested was looked at last week and the preschool teacher said my instincts were right, and that he would qualify for preschool after all.

SOOO, today was Garrett's first day of school!!!  He'll be going every Tuesday and Thursday for 2 hours in the afternoon, and the school bus will come pick him up and bring him home!  The preschool consists of children with a wide range of development needs to keep it balanced.  Some severe, and some with none at all, with the mild and moderate mixed in there.  While there the speech therapist will come into the room for 40 minutes or so and work with him as well.  Yea!  I'm so happy about this!  Perseverance and listening to my gut paid off.  I learned that I really have to be a strong advocate for my children and get the best for them by being heard.

Here are some pictures from his first day:

Waiting for the school bus.  What a cute little preschooler!
He was very excited!  More about the bus then school.  


Boarding the school bus.
He was very scared!  He started crying shortly after this picture was taken.  Broke my heart!

Getting off the bus was a different story.
He was very happy and enthusiastic about the experience.   
He kept telling me he wasn't scared anymore, and that he got to ride the bus!  (I wonder if he even went to school... hmmm.  It wasn't mentioned much.)

3 comments:

DeAnna said...

Is he waving....so cute :D

Alishia said...

Okay, So reading the previous post of how difficult it was for him to get into school makes him going to preschool all the more exciting! Oh what a cute little boy!

Loraine said...

Would love to have been there to see him off! What a cutie! I just love him.