Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas at the Lees!

Christmas, as usual, was a very fun holiday.  This year as the kids are getting older and understanding more we wanted to start some traditions to really help us embody the spirit of Christmas.  We want our kids to focus on giving, rather than receiving, and learn how to find joy in serving each other.  So we adopted the Lees tradition of making things for each other, and took the kids to Hobby Lobby and let them pick out things they'd like to make for their siblings that they thought they'd like.  It was a huge hit!  The kids loved making things for each other, they were talking about each other during the creation process, and they were excited to give the gifts to each other on Christmas morning.  

Anyways, here are some pictures to sum up the holiday:

I got this idea from Better Homes and Garden, and improvised it a little.    Throughout the month of December we added a link to this chain every time one of the kids did something nice for someone else.  We wrote down their good deed and added it to the chain.  On Christmas Eve after we talked about Christ's birth and sang songs we told them how this chain was our gift to Jesus; that loving each other is the best gift we can give, and then we read the links.  Keira liked it so much she suggested we keep it up and keep adding to it all year.  It was a great way to look for ways to praise the kids for doing good, and it motivated them to do more nice things.  I think this tradition is a keeper!

Garrett chose a piggy bank for Keira for his gift to her.
He kept saying, "shhh it's a surprise for Keira!" and talking about giving it to her while he was painting it.

Keira chose a treasure chest to give to Garrett.
She kept saying, "He is going to freak when he sees this!  I think he's going to cry!"  hahaha

Libby, trying on the hat that Garrett made for her.

Libby gave good reactions to her princess stuff that the other kids made for her.  Garrett put the stickers on the hat, and Keira ironed on the princess decal on the shirt.  Clearly they know what she's into right now.
A gift exchange from Garrett to Keira.

Keira, showing off the "K" that Libby made for her (or maybe it was mommy....   shhh!), and the piggy bank Garrett made for her.  She was more happy about it then this picture would suggest.  ;)

Garrett, holding up the "G" that Libby made for him, while holding the treasure chest, Keira made for him.  He yelled very excitedly when seeing the G.  He recently learned that his name starts with G and gets very enthusiastic about it.    

The kids got a few other presents from us that were a hit, but not as big as this one.  This was our family present, a trampoline!  By far the most popular gift!  It doesn't matter how cold or dark it is they want to go jump!  I just wish it was already in the ground, so I could relax a little when they go out.  

Richard's present to me was everything I needed to start a painting hobby.   It was a perfect gift!  I started painting that night.  This is my first painting.  Although not a masterpiece I'm pretty happy with it, and would have started another painting right after I was done with this one if I had the time.  I'm looking forward to playing around some more!  

My present to Richard was the pegboard, hooks, and organizing his work bench.  It was a disaster area with no room on the bench to even work since there was no place for anything.  So I spent a few hours putting all the screws, nails, nuts, bolts, etc in an organizing container, hanging the pegboard, and organizing the tools.  He was happy to see what I had done.


There was so much more to Christmas this year!  Lots of parties, lots of time with both sides of the family, and lots of great presents that we are so lucky to have received!  Most of all we're grateful for the gift of salvation and the knowledge that we have through the gospel of Him who gave it to us, Jesus Christ.  How lucky we are to live in a country that not only allows us to worship how we like, but also devotes an entire holiday to Christ!  Merry Christmas!  We hope the spirit of the season lives on through the next year in your lives!

2 comments:

The Bates Famdamily said...

What a fantastic Christmas. I love it! I love the home made . Love you guys!

DeAnna said...

Oh I think this is just a wonderful Christmas..How cute are those kids!? You guys are great parents. Fun traditions :D