At about 2:00 am on Sunday, June 10, we awoke to the sound of a truck plowing down our fence and looked out our window just in time to see him back out and take off! Cops were called and thankfully the guy left behind enough of his truck that they were able to find him shortly afterwards still driving around town quite drunk. Having never been drunk I just can't wrap my mind around how a person could have gone so far into our yard, destroyed so much, and then just backed up, took off, and still drove around town as if nothing happened. What an idiot!
| About 2:30 am, collecting evidence with the police. |
| After plowing down a few panels of fence and ruining the sandbox he continued through to the playground, taking the swingset with him and leaving it in a pretzel in the tree. |
| At that point he threw it into reverse and backed out of our neighbor's fence and took off. |
I was in complete shock as I watched him take off that morning and went out and assessed the damage. I still cannot believe it happened! 15 years nothing happened to this fence, but since we bought this house (15 months ago) our fence has been knocked down TWICE! Can we assume it will never happen again since the chances are so slim, or should we conclude our yard is not a safe place for the kids to play?
We're in the process of negotiating with the guy's car insurance (thank goodness he had some!!) to get compensated for our losses. So far they're not being terribly cooperative, but in the end I'm sure it'll work out. In the meantime we've put up a temporary construction fence through the half of the yard that wasn't damaged so the kids can still go outside. Oy! What a mess!
No comments:
Post a Comment