Will finally made his appearance on
Wednesday, August 29th, at 12:33 pm!!!
He was 11 days early (same gestation as Garrett; earliest babies)
and happened to be my biggest baby, weighing in at
7 lbs, 11 oz, and 19.5 inches long.
Condensed birth story:
My water broke around 5 am on August 29th. Not entirely sure it broke I went back to sleep. After a few hours of noticeably stronger contractions and more evidence that it had broken we went in to the hospital. We checked in around 8:00 am, and I was at a 5+, 90% effaced. At 9ish I got an epidural and around 11:45 am I was checked again and was at a 7 and 100% effaced. At that point my mom (who had been their for about an hour) went to go get my dad. At noon I noticed a lot more pressure and told the nurse. My Dr came and said I was complete. They had me wait about 20 min to let the contractions bring him down more on their own, and then I started pushing. 2 contractions and 3 minutes later Will was here! :)
The full birth story:
My full birth story starts months before Will actually came. It started when I was 26 weeks and started having regular, painful contractions that effectively put me on bedrest. Not because he was in danger of coming, but because common, every day tasks left me in a lot of pain caused by cramping, back pain and hard contractions. It was awful from that moment on, but only got worse as time went on. It was a nightmare!!!
At 29 weeks the contractions started changing my cervix, but not much. By 31 weeks I was dilated to a 1, less than 50% effaced, and the baby had dropped. At 34 weeks I got steroid shots, and at 35 weeks I was dilated to a 2 and 50% effaced. By 36 weeks I was dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced, with his head engaged in the birth canal, and at 37 weeks I was dilated to a 4. Slow, slow early labor. Many days contractions were coming regularly close together and to painful to walk or talk through.
In my 37th week the contractions got down to 5-10 minutes apart and stayed consistent, not letting up until Will came nearly a week later. On August 28th I went into Labor and Delivery thinking that it was finally time. Contractions were getting quite hard and painful and I was nauseous, and I was told if I got to a 5 they would admit me. I broke down when they informed me I was still at a 4 and had to go back home. Thankfully they took pity on me and gave me a Morphine shot to give me some relief from the pain.
I went home and got some great sleep, and then about 5:30 am I got up to get something to eat and felt a lot of leaking fluid. It didn't continue so I wondered if it was my water that broke, but still being drugged I went back to bed. After a few hours of contractions that were noticeably more intense and more leaking fluid I started to get excited that it was finally showtime! I went to Orem Community Hospital and was checked in by about 8:00 am, where it was confirmed that my water had broken, and I was now dilated to a 5+ and 90% effaced. At 9ish I got an epidural and around 11:45 am I was checked again and was at a 7 and 100% effaced. At that point my mom (who had been their for about an hour) went to go get my dad. At noon I noticed a lot more pressure and told the nurse. My Dr came and said I was complete. They had me wait about 20 min to let the contractions bring him down more on their own, and then I started pushing. 2 contractions and 3 minutes later Will was here! He came so quickly that both sets of grandparents missed his arrival while on route to the hospital.
He came out alert, crying, and nursed well. Recovery has been going quite well for both of us, and now we are all just enjoying all the time we get with our new little baby!
4 comments:
Congratulations Betsy!
Oh! Also William and I share the same birthday! Go August 29th!
Did you mean August 29th? :)
Aw, crap! Yes, I meant August!! :P Corrected.
Post a Comment