January 24th was moving day. Everything went fairly smooth and we had lots of help! Gary even built a ramp to help move things out of the house. It was awesome! Thank goodness for all the family who came out to help us that day!
We took a break from unpacking our new house and went to the zoo. It was a welcome break, that we all enjoyed. One of the perks to homeschool is that you get to go to free day at the zoo while other kids are at school. It keeps the crowds down to a minimum.
School has been pretty unorganized the last month or so. Between packing up our things in the old house and unpacking them in the new house, we just haven't been in a good routine in awhile. We did a lot of random things, but most days we got in our math and reading lessons. This was one of those random days. Keira enjoyed teaching Garrett how to play chess! I think we'll try and bring out the chess board more often now.
One of my favorite parts of being in the new place is that my bedroom window faces the East, so I can lay in bed and watch the beautiful sunrises! It's a really great way to start the day!
This picture sums up how we've been feeling lately. Moving is such a pain!!!
Libby snapped this picture of me while I was working in our new kitchen. It's starting to feel like home! Yea! We're liking our neighborhood, we're liking our new neighbors (there are lots of kids), we're liking the layout of the house, and we're liking the freedom of being home owners again.
I try to have a routine with homeschool, while at the same time trying to be open and flexible to what would work best with the kids. I'm really trying to "inspire, not require" and that means not pushing too hard when they resist things one way, and instead figure out ways to inspire them in another way. Today when we opened up our math book Garrett groaned because he didn't want to write things down in his notebook. Trying to just be difficult he teasingly said he was going to write in on the whiteboard instead. At first I said "no", as if to put my foot down and require him to keep writing things down in his math notebook (just because that's what we do, ya know), but then I caught myself, and decided that if writing it on the whiteboard made it more interesting to him then there was really no harm in doing it that way. So, to his surprise I agreed, and we soared through math today! I love little victories like that!
So, that sums things up. We moved, we're still unpacking, and with all that we're slowly getting back into a homeschool routine again as the house gets put back together. We're not into a routine yet, but the house is so close to being put back together that we're able to do bits and pieces, and it feels good.







No comments:
Post a Comment