Today was a good day. We could feel the pull of spring pretty bad a few weeks ago, so we took a break to spend as much time out in the sunshine as possible, calling it our spring break. It was planned to start again today, and we did with great success. :)
To celebrate Pi day we did many fun activities and spent at least an hour doing math-related activities. The reward was hearing my kids' surprise when they asked when we were going to do math and I told them we had already done math today.
Here are a few things we did today:
- We discussed what Pi is, where it came from, why we're celebrating it today, and how it applies to circles. The younger ones practiced tracing circles.
- The older ones learned more about a circumference, diameter and radius, and then we found circular objects around the house, measured them, and used the formula of Pi to show that all circles equal Pi this way.
- After that activity the older ones made bar graphs using the numbers in Pi (3.14159...)
- After lunch we made pie, of course! Keira was the head chef and practiced reading recipes, getting the correct measurements and delegating jobs to Libby and William (who helped pour things in and mix).
- Our next event was to read a great book called, "Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi", by Cindy Neuschwander. I love this author! She has amazing math books! They're cute stories that use Knights to solve quests using math concepts such as counting by tens, using angles, multiplying, etc. They really help the kids understand these concepts! I want to own them all!!!
- We finished our day of Pi, by eating our Pie. Yummy pumpkin and apple pies!
- In between Pi events the girls read to me and Will, and I read to them, and Garrett used an online program (Reading Eggs) to read. And I didn't mention it before, but we started the day off with our devotional as usual (a song, a prayer, a scripture), and reviewing signs we've learned in the past.
It was a great day! Not only did we learn a lot, but we had fun together. I love great days like this that help us bond and also really feel productive.







No comments:
Post a Comment