Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Milk Woes


Well, Garrett's 5 weeks old now and for the most part has been a great baby! He doesn't get up at night, unless he's hungry, which doesn't wake me up because I just feed him in bed as I sleep. The only problem we've run across is the fact that he spits up a lot! I'll feed him, burp him, he'll barf all over me, himself, and whatever's near by, so I go to change him and just as I get him in a new outfit he'll barf again all over the new one and whatever's near by. It's quite frustrating! I think I do laundry a couple of times a week. I was concerned with how much he was barfing so I took him to the Dr a couple of weeks ago and they weighed him and he had gained a lb in a week, so the weight gain shows the problem isn't to serious. So my Dr gave me some medicine to give to him for acid reflux and I gave it to him for about a week. At the end of the week there was no improvement and I was pulling out my hair due to the amount of spit up I have to deal with on a dail basis, so I called my Dr and went in again to get him weighed. This was yesterday. He had gained more weight, so we discussed my options. Since the medicine wasn't doing anything my options are slim. For now I'm trying to alter my diet to see if that makes a difference. He's a real gassy baby, always farting and burping, so perhaps my diet's the problem. So as of today I'm not suppose to eat anything with dairy in it, and no cabbagy vegetables for a week! :( That means no milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, brocolli, salad, cabbage, etc. Basically, no happiness! I LOVE dairy products, so this week's going to be a hard one. Plus, before I went to the Dr I made a goal not to eat any sweet treats (no desserts, cookies, etc, but I'm not completely ruling out sugar) for two weeks, and it happens to start today too. So I have conflicting feelings about this diet and Garrett's barfing now, because if this diet works and Garrett stops barfing as much that means that I'll have to go without dairy until I stop nursing, but if it doesn't work then I have an extremely barfy baby and no solution. It doesn't look to good either way. :(

6 comments:

Becky said...

How sad. If I were you, I'd keep your desserts and save your sanity. That's a lot to give up all at once. Plus if your objective is to get back into your prepregnant clothes cutting back on the dairy will give you a good jump start.

Becky said...

I meant that as a sister-in-law comment and not a dietitians. :) Hope it works out for you - and little Garrett.

DeAnna said...

No kidding, if you cut all of those foods out what will you eat...p.b.&j that is about it. I tried not to eat sweets one day...I lasted until 10:00 a.m.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Well, the good news is, he'll probably out grow it. It seems like everything goes away, on it's own, with time. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it any easier to deal with in real time. As quoted in a very favorite movie of mine, "this, too, will pass".

Betsy Lee said...

Yeah, I decided that instead of cutting the sweets out, I cutted them back. I'll give in to temptation, but just not as much.

Betsy Lee said...

Pardon my poor grammer on that last post. How embarrassing!