Saturday, April 16, 2011

Starting a Garden

Today, thankfully, was a beautiful day, and a great day to work in our yard as a family.  It was bliss!  We worked hard, played, had a picnic, and took rests under our willow tree in our hammock.  *sigh*  The only thing that could have made the day better would have been having a fence.  :\  Hopefully we'll get it back soon.  

For those of you who don't know, our fence was leveled by a reckless snow plow driver that was going to fast and threw the incredibly heavy snow at our fence (and every one else's on our street) and knocked it all down.  Luckily UDOT is taking responsibility and will be replacing it.)  

Anyways, because of this lovely day I got to work by back off and got my garden plot ready.  I even found some potatoes and onions in the soil, so I already have some veggies growing in there!  Yea!  :)

I am so excited to be able to do a garden this year!  I love the idea of growing our own veggies (and some fruits) to save on money!  I love the idea of having lots of veggies (and some fruits) on hand, fresh out of the ground!  And I LOVE the idea of having them so accessible to the kids, and including them in the whole process!  Maybe they'll get their fruit and vegetable servings every day just from this.  I'm hoping!


BEFORE
(is there any dirt under there??)

AFTER
(I weeded, tilled, and added the rocks.)

I'm EXHAUSTED!!!  That was some HARD work!  Very rewarding, but hard work.  Who needs a gym when you have a yard?  :)

And here are some pictures of our fence after the snow plow incident:


So sad.  But at least they're replacing it.

5 comments:

DeAnna said...

Next year it won't be AS hard of work.

Julie said...

That's awesome. Just keep it up and you won't have to work so hard next time! I hope they really do replace the fence. It seems like it would be a really long time before they do :( Hopefully one of your neighbors is more squeaky than you and will get the results faster :)

Kim G said...

wow that looks way better!!!! I'm jealous! :)

Loraine said...

It looks like you'll get a work out doing the yard work and Richard will get a work out doing the fence! Looks great Betsy.

Tink said...

Gardening is my favorite way to exercise too!