This week we get a recap, in pictures! Yea!!! I was sick with some sort of virus this week, so I wasn't on my A game. Despite that, I still feel like we got a lot accomplished and had a lot of good times! Magic! :P
 |
| This week in soccer the younger team practiced throwing in the ball, and then played a game. Garrett loved it, as usual. |
 |
| The older team played a game that dealt with passing the ball, and then played a game. Keira loved it, too! I was pleasantly surprised to see her more involved than usual, and not timid in the slightest. Have I mentioned that my daughter who was getting more and more timid while in public school is now coming out of her shell again now that we homeschool?? ;) Oh I did? It's worth saying again since so many worry that homeschool will make their kids socially retarded. |
 |
| Early on in the week Keira requested that we learn more about electricity. So, we watched Bill Nye's episode on science, and then played snap circuits. |
 |
| We made a trip to the library this week, followed by the park. I enjoyed some time just laying in the grass, looking up at the beautiful trees and sky above me! Then Will insisted on sitting on me, so I took some pictures of him making silly faces. Love this boy! At the library we got Wayside Stories, and some Choose Your Own Adventure books, among others. I'm excited to have the kids read them! |
 |
| Also at the library we got a book about squirrels. We have a plethora of squirrels around our house lately, so we took some time to learn about them. Garrett was most fascinated by our book, and took up three pages in his writing book, drawing and writing about squirrels! Libby drew about them, drawing one of the species (flying squirrel), something they ate, and one of their predators. Keira was not up for this activity until I changed it from a "forcing you to write" activity, to a "write what interests you" activity. I told her that when I learn about something I find interesting I write it down so I don't forget it. That gave her a new perspective and then she willingly wrote down snippets of info from the book as we read it that she found interesting. As a bonus the kids learned about where Africa, Asia, Australia, and Antartica are, and also about what "species" means. The book said that squirrels are found everywhere except Antartica and Australia, so I pointed out those continents on the map in our room. Then we learned that the biggest squirrel is 36 inches long, and is found in Asia, so I pointed out that, too (holy squirrel!!!). We also learned that the smallest squirrel is in Africa (5 inches long), so then they were aware of that continent. It's fun to use these moments of interest and run with them and teach them about whatever they are side tracked by! |
 |
| We also read more from Robin Hood this week. At the beginning of the week I decided to have them help me think of all the characters we had read about so far, and I was impressed by how many even Libby could remember! So, we kept the drawings up on the board all week, for them to reference. Keira added more details to the Sheriff as we read more about him later on, and added in the bishop as we came across him as well. And William "helped" by erasing Will Scarlett and part of Robin Hood. Little stinker!!! |
 |
| We also took some time to just play around with sidewalk chalk. I was very impressed by Keira's picture of our house!!! |
 |
| Of course, she couldn't resist drawing Robin Hood in there, too. |
 |
| And I may have joined the fun at some point, too. ;) Libby had to out-do me with a longer waterfall to the left, of course. |
 |
| We ended the week by creating our own comic books. Another activity that Garrett just ate up! You can't quite tell from this picture just how cool this book of his really is, but believe me. It's cool! After we took this picture we cut it up and made it into a book. It's called, "Agent P and Super Garrett". He came up with the story, drew it, and then told me what to write. |
 |
Libby had a different vision, so I let her run with it. She created two scenes with characters from Robin Hood in them. The one on the left is Robin hood pointing his bow and arrow at the Sheriff. The one on the right is one of Robin Hood's men, Will Scarlett, with a bow and arrow pointing at one of the other bad guys.
Keira's comic book is in the making. She is recreating the story, Sleeping Beauty. |
This was all in addition to math, reading, and some fall activities that we did on the side. Another highlight of the week was the time they had at Grandma's house, but I didn't get a picture of that! Darn! Grandma Liz taught Libby and Garrett how to make bread while Keira and I were at violin lessons. When we got back the dough was ready, so we used the dough to make shapes (element of art) to bake! :) It was fun
and delicious!
Another week gone by, successfully. I still feel yucky, but despite that it was a good week. To end, here's a clip of Keira playing the violin with her teacher:
No comments:
Post a Comment