Friday, December 29, 2017

Chickens! Which breeds are best?


In my last post I wrote about why chickens are great to have.  If I've convinced you to get chickens and you've started to look into it, you will have noticed that there are actually quite a lot of different breeds of chickens to choose from.  It can be very overwhelming to choose, so let me give you some hints.  In this post I'll show you some of my own flock, which breeds I prefer, and why.  



My Flock 

I've had dozens of different breeds through the years.  Through trial and error I have found which hens make the cut, and which ones I'm not too sad to say goodbye to.  I currently have a great flock, so it's hard to pick my favorites, but I'll try.
Please note that I live in a cold place, so there are no chickens on here that couldn't handle the cold.

My top three preferences have only a fraction of a percentage difference between them, in my mind.  
They're all pretty great choices. 
The Buff Orpington only gets top place by a small degree.  
   


Buff Orpington

This fluffy gal is considered "the dog of the chicken world", because of how friendly this breed is.  I haven't come across a chicken that's mean, but she takes friendly to a new level.  She is often found looking in at us from the back porch, will come running when I call, and assumes the position (squat and hold still) when the kids go to pick her up.


This breed is a great layer!  She lays about 5-6 large, light brown eggs a week.  Plus she is consistent about it.  No matter the weather, she lays.


Some breeds of chickens are good for laying, and some are just for getting meat.  There are a few who are both great layers and good for meat.  The Buff Orpington is one of those breeds (though, I don't speak from personal experience).






Red Sex Link
This breed really was a close second. She is also so nice and friendly!  We had a small flock that all got killed except for the Red Sex Link, and for months while she was alone she would follow us around the yard, like we were her flock. Even after we got new chickens she still would come running when we came outside.


These ladies are excellent egg layers!  I dare say she may be better than the Buff Orpington!  Very consistent, large brown eggs, about 5-6 days a week, no matter the weather.

I've heard this breed can both lay eggs and give meat, too.  Though the meat isn't rumored to be as good.










Americauna/Easter Egger
There's a big degate on whether these are "real" Americaunas or Easter Eggers.  I bought my chicks as "Americaunas", but they look more like Easter Eggers.  Meh.  Either way...  This breed is really at the top of the list for me.  They are not only friendly (will jump on my shoulder when I'm crouching), but a little smarter than the average chicken.  They have been known to be the first one at the scene when we're doing landscaping, knowing that there are bugs to be eaten.  I have also seen my ladies pacing the pen where the door is and pushing on it to check if it's latched.  When I call to the chickens, even from far away, they are some of the first on the scene.  
However, these gals can be the noisiest of the flock.  They make more noise than the rooster, at times.

They are known for their "beard" poofed up around their face, their beautiful coloring, and their colorful eggs.  They can lay green, olive, blue, and pink eggs. Their eggs make beautiful decorations when they're blown out. However, what prevents them from being at the top of the list for me, is that they're a little fickle about laying eggs.  When the temperatures are extreme they don't lay well. During moderate weather they'll lay about 5-6 eggs a week, but when temperatures are extreme they stop laying completely.  


I haven't heard anything about whether they'd make good meat chickens.




Silver Laced Wyandotte & Golden Laced Wyandotte





Same breed, different colors. The Silver Laced Wyandotte is black and white, and the Golden Laced Wyandotte is brown and black.  This breed is a typically friendly chicken.  Not the first one to be around you when you're out, but won't run away from you, either.  They gladly "assume the position" for the kids, so they make my happy list.  

They're pretty good little layers, too, laying about 4-5 eggs a week.  They're pretty consistent as well.  Weather doesn't impact their laying too often.  


I have heard that this breed is another breed that is good for both laying and meat.








Bantam
I love these little chickens!  You can't tell from this picture, but Bantams are miniature breeds.  They're about half the size of a regular chicken.  Some Bantams, like this one, have feathers going down their legs onto their feet.  Because of their size and temperament, they are awesome pets for smaller kids, especially.  Super friendly, and easy to carry around.  

They (appropriately) lay eggs about half the size as a regular chicken's egg, about 2-3 times a week.  If you're looking for a chicken strictly for it's laying abilities, skip over this one. However, she makes a fun little pet!  

The tricky thing about Bantams is that they die easily as chicks.  I'm not sure what kind of Bantam this one ended up being, because I lost a lot this time around.  My favorite kind of Bantam, though, is actually a Silkie.  They have feathers that are more like fur.  Very light, thin feathers that make them poofy looking.    


Polish
 This is the most unique chicken we have.  Polish are known for their crazy mohak-style feathers on the top of their head, that come in different colors.  This one's colors are a black iridescent.  Very pretty in the light!

They are kind of a skiddish breed.  Nice, yes, but not exactly friendly.  She is the chicken that the kids have fun trying to catch.  She's fast, can fly high, and is hard to catch, so it's a challenge.

She's also not a great layer.  She'll lay, maybe, 1-2 a week.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  Very inconsistent.  

She's just fun to have around, and fun to look at.











That's my flock right now.  I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Red Sex Link, 4 Americuanas, 2 Wyandottes, 1 Bantam, and 1 Polish. They are some of my favorite breeds.  I may get a few Silkie Bantams and another Red Sex Link in the future, but for now this is a good flock. 


No comments: