Tuesday, August 25, 2009

School, Potty Training, Contractions, & Ears!

Just a few things to update here.

1. Richard starts a new semester tomorrow and we're both excited for it to begin! New things to learn in Digital Media, which excites Richard and excites me to see it excite him! Also, if things go according to plan this will be one of his last semesters!!!

2. Keira is now fully potty trained!!! HOORAY!!!!! She has accidents every once in awhile, but most days she goes the whole day with the same underwear on and will go to the bathroom anywhere that we go. I'm so happy about this, and really hope that she doesn't regress again (she was fully potty trained earlier this year and regressed).

3. I'm 34 weeks along now and not enjoying life. I started having painful contractions again last Friday (the 21st) and they haven't gone away. I took Terbutaline pills to get them to stop and they didn't, so Sunday morning I went to the hospital. They checked me and I'm not dilating, and I don't have an infection, so they have no idea why I'm contracting and in pain. It's dehabilitating to the point that I can't do anything without it causing me pain, so I'm pretty useless now and since I'm far enough along and not showing signs of labor other than contractions I get to just suck it up and be in pain until... well, who knows. I wish the contractions would either do something or go away! Every day is a struggle now! Thank goodness Richard has been home between semesters this last week so I have had him to help out with the kids and other things around the house!!

4. We took Garrett to an ear, throat, and nose specialist today to talk about getting tubes put in his ears because he gets a ridiculous amount of ear infections all year long! He's had at least one a month this year, sometimes more. Plus, he's a little behind in speaking, so we've been concerned that the infections have been affecting his hearing. I was concerned about all this and brought it up a few times with our old pediatrician, but apparently he's a retarded Dr and just kept shoving antibiotics our way and saying there was no need to be concerned. Well we got a new Dr and he was concerned enough to refer us to a specialist. Apparently if a child has more then 4 infections in a 6 month period it's alarming. Stupid old Dr!!! It makes me angry that we let him go this long having so many infections!!!

Anyways, today at the specialist he talked to us about getting tubes in Garrett's ears and we've decided to go forward with it. We also had his hearing tested and he passed, but the Dr was telling us that even though he has good hearing now, when a child has fluid in the ear during an infection that muffles the sound while he is sick and weeks after. So, it's very likely that he's gone months with muffled hearing in the past which is a good explanation of why he's not speaking clearly now. He's trying to talk and has many words that Richard and I can translate, but they're not clear, making him very hard to understand most of the time. So, we're hoping that by getting tubes in his ears he won't get infections, he won't need so many antibiotics, and his speech will improve.

So, that's what's new in our lives. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

3 comments:

Alishia said...

Yay for Richard and starting school; that is always exciting! It's a bummer for you to not have his help around while you can't do much though. If I was available I would come help, but I kinda can't! But that is good that Garret can have the tubes in his ears. Stupid doctor!

The Bates Famdamily said...

I'm so sorry Bets!! That sucks. I've never had that and can't imagine the pain on top of 9 month uncomfortableness!!
I'm glad you guys didn't stick with that doctor. Sometimes I think they just don't listen.
Good Luck!!

Julie said...

Wow, craziness!! I hope things get better with the pregnancy and that Garrett doesn't get any more ear infections! Ryan actually has a little hearing loss in one ear. You can't really tell, but it's something he's lived with because of his many, many, ear infections as a child.