Friday, December 4, 2009

Moderate

Today
we had someone from Kids on the
Move come to our house and assess Garrett and evaluate whether he needs help with language development. After asking a bunch of questions, testing his vocabulary with pictures, and observing him play she concluded that he has a
moderate speech delay. This isn't
news to me, which is why I called them. I learned about this stuff in my Language & Hearing Development class in college, so I
had a good idea about where he's at, not to mention being his mom and having superhero powers to detect when something's not right. ;)

Garrett's about 2 & 1/2 years old and doesn't say many words very clearly. He's making a valiant effort and can say the first of a lot of words, but I still need to translate for him more then is normal at this age. He's not far behind and was actually on the border of having a mild delay and a moderate delay. I'm just glad that we're taking care of this now while he isn't to far behind and when he's young. He's been driving us crazy lately with his inability to communicate, which has also been driving him crazy, resulting in a lot of tantrums, so it will make everyone happier when he learns to speak a little better.

So, now we will be having someone come into our home once a week to work with him and teach us how to help him as well, and that will probably start in January. I'm excited about this! Especially because I don't have to pack up my 3 kids to take them anywhere; they come to us. On a side note, the evaluator noted how advanced Keira's speech was just from observing her as well. Again, that isn't news to me. "It's getting it to shut up that's the trick." - Shrek

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm glad that someone will be coming to your house. That is just what my sister did. It really helped my nephew. Sometimes I wish that Nixon spoke more, he doesn't really say anything! But then I remember Haley's chatter box and I'm grateful for his silence...for now

The Bates Famdamily said...

Wow! I can't believe how fast that happened. That is neat that they come to your house. Good job super mom on getting your son help before it is an issue.
nat

Becky said...

Rissie was late too, but I never had her evaluated. I wonder what they would have "ranked" her. It's hard to tell when the older one is such a talker. Lauren was like Keira, although, I don't know any kid who has been able to communicate as clearly as your little Keira did so young.
I am glad Garrett will be able to get some help. And how NICE they are coming to YOU! I've been dreading all of the places I will HAVE to take my kids. Jon starts his next rotation Monday and it's going to be a rough one - so no help there. Sigh.