Monday, June 28, 2010

Neurologist

Today we went to see the Neurologist up at Primary Children's Hospital. People keep asking me how it went and I'm not sure how to respond. I guess it went well in some ways. It was nice to talk to a specialist who actually knows something about seizures instead of talking to general docs who just have the basic info. I told the Neurologist all about our history with seizures, both Keira's history, my own, and my mom's. (I had two as a toddler and my mom has Epilepsy) She (the Dr) did a bunch of tests with her to test her development physically and mentally to see if the seizures have affected her and she passed with flying colors. The Dr said Keira's doing things that she doesn't expect a child in Kindergarten to do. (Me? Proud? Nah! Ok, just a little.) Anyways, given the circumstances surrounding her seizures and her family history the Neurologist seemed pretty certain that Keira has Epilepsy. Funny, but she didn't even mention the possibility of it being Febrile Seizures; something 2 out of the 4 doctors were sure it was, but I didn't think it was from seizure #1). Just goes to show you should trust your instinct and see a specialist rather than a regular Dr if you're concerned about a specific issue.

Anyways, I'm still learning and have a lot to learn about Epilepsy so I can't regurgitate a lot about it and share details, but basically she has a general type of Epilepsy that isn't triggered by anything (that we can tell). We'll be doing an EEG next week to learn more about Keira's brain and confirm that diagnosis if we can. If the test shows any indication that it might not be Epilepsy then we'll move on to an MRI to see if there are any abnormalities or tumors in her brain causing the seizures. The Neurologist started talking about putting her on meds today, and that kind of overwhelmed me. I didn't expect to be discussing that today, I guess. She gave me info on meds for me to take home an mull over. I have a lot to think about. I don't like the idea of putting her on meds. Of course I will weigh my options and decide upon one that will benefit Keira the most, but I'm not liking my options. All of the med options have possible side affects that I don't want Keira to have, such as irritability for one, and weight gain due to an increased appetite. I don't want my Keira to be altered due to meds. The Dr said that even though her seizures aren't affecting her initially, over time they can cause harm to the brain. There have also been cases where seizures have been fatal to children (due to not breathing or being harmed as they're having the seizure from falling or drowning), so we run that risk by letting them keep happening.

Anyways, there you have it. Keira has Epilepsy (probably). She asked me why we were going to the Dr and I was at a loss of words. How do I explain what's going on? I'm not afraid of scaring her, but I don't think she'll be able to comprehend what it means to have seizures and I'm not about to tell her that her brain is broken. :P

On a side note, Richard's on a plane to London right now. He left early this morning and won't arrive until tomorrow morning. Despite sending my husband off and hearing that my daughter has Epilepsy (probably) it has been a good day. I feel strengthened somehow and optimistic. Plus I have an amazing support group around me to buoy me up. My mother-in-law watched my younger kids while I took Keira to the Dr this morning, and my neighbors had me over for dinner tonight. One day down, 32 to go.

9 comments:

Julie said...

I'm glad you have some answers. I hope you find more and can figure out the best treatment options. It will be okay and you're right, you do have an amazing support group! I am sorry for what Keira will be going through. Let me know if I can help!

Kim G said...

I love that picture of Keira. It's true about family doctors. I had a similar experience when my kids were going through the staph infections. I'm glad us mom's are blessed with intuition.

DeAnna said...

LOVE the picture, but it makes me teary adding it to this context instead. You are a trooper. Good Luck with everything. It is good to know what the reasoning is behind what is happening. I feel that knowledge is power in this type of situation.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

I'm glad you were able to get her to the doctor sooner! One thing, maybe she won't experience the "common side-effects". Not everyone does, but if the meds do cause undesirable effects then you could weigh things out with a bit more understanding of how she's effected. Either way, I trust you'll have good judgement on this one. And we'll have to have you over to distract you from your single-mother-days.

Tink said...

I know what you mean about having mixed feelings medicating her. With Duncan in Kindergarten and more being expected of him we have had to be aware of the possibility that he has ADD. As it is now the only thing that is certain is that he is genetically predisposed to it but, he is really too young to tell. That doesn't mean that we haven't thought about possible medication so, I can relate with the heartache of picking the lesser of the two evils.
Good luck with everything!

Angie said...

You are one strong woman! I can't even imagine going through all that at the same time. Good luck with everything. I know you will decide to do the right thing because you are asking the best source there is that knows all. Our loving Heavenly Father will never lead you astray. I am so sorry you are all alone with no hubby. I remember those days and they are so long. If I can do anything to help, I would love to. Just always remember I love you and you are such an incredible person!

Loraine said...

What a tough day - - a lot to deal with on your own. It's nice you don't have to make any quick decisions without Richard. It breaks my heart about Keira. You are a great mother and a wise person. You also have a lot of people who love you to stand behind you. We love you.

Becky said...

I am all teary too. I think it's the combination of my feelings for your little Keira and her having to deal with tough stuff; I too can relate to seeing your baby/kid (they're always your baby) so my heart goes out to you; and then I read all the LOVE goin' on with your support group and it makes me happy that you are NOT alone even though Richard is far away.
A month from now you are going to look back and realize that you really DID survive. You can walk up to the next trial with that much more faith and confidence that you CAN do HARD things.

I concur, you ARE a great mom! :)

LauraBro said...

I'm glad you got a little closer to knowing what is going on! when are they doing the EEG? the dr didn't recommend atleast waiting for those results to medicate? What great news--that Keira is so smart and no problems have come developmentally!! keep us posted---
I'm glad you are such a supportive wife and Richard is getting this great opportunity to travel. hang in there girl--we should go play up the canyon when I get there :)