Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Seizure #5

Sunday night Keira had another seizure. She was acting sluggish all day and was a little warm, but not warm enough to be alarming, and it was a hot day. That evening we decided to go over to Grandma and Papa Lee's house to break up the evening. We got to their house and within 5 minutes Keira was laying on the ground. I told her to get up and go sit on the couch and she didn't respond. I looked at her face to see that she was drooling and her eyes were rolled back in her head. We moved her to the couch and about a minute later she started convulsing. Not fun to watch, even knowing she's ok. After about 5 minutes after this all started she was out. She didn't wake up for awhile (20 minutes?) and then she was in and out of consciousness. That happened at about 6 pm and she didn't really wake up until 7 am the next morning, at which point she was completely back to normal.

That makes 5 seizures in two years. The good news is that they're further apart. The first two she had were 2 months apart, but the last time she had one was 11 months ago. Maybe that means she really will outgrow them? I'm not sure what to think. I've talked to 4 doctors about this and two of them think they are Febrile Seizures and she'll outgrow them, and two of them think I need to get her tested. She does have a fever when she has a seizure, but it's never been over 100 degrees. The doctors who think they're Febrile Seizures say that it's not the temperature, but the sudden increase that will cause seizures sometimes. The doctors who think I need to get her checked out say that a fever that low shouldn't be causing seizures. I'm not sure what to think. I have an appt on Thursday to talk to the Dr, so we'll see what comes of that.

7 comments:

Catherine Faux said...

That sounds scary. Good luck at the doctors. I hope you find out what is going on.

Kim G said...

That's gotta be so scary. I seriously can't imagine seeing my child go through that. I hope everything turns out for the best.

Elizabeth Stoddard said...

As I told you, doctors really don't know much about seizures and what triggers them. Especially if they aren't neurologists.

Tink said...

I don't think it would matter if it was her fifth our 100th I could never stop worrying about what to do.

Elizabeth Stoddard said...

More important at this age is how frequent and if that frequency is increasing or decreasing. Increasing needs attention.

Becky said...

The unknown is always a scary thing, and for me a seizure is very unfamiliar and very scary. I am glad, for your sake, that Keira's seizures are not the first exposure you've had. Although, I am sure that no matter how familiar you are - it would be unnerving to see your child going through that. :(

Loraine said...

I was comforted to hear from your Dad and your Mom's comments. It was scary to watch our little Keira going through that. I love her!