Tuesday, July 13, 2010

San People (aka Bushmen) in Namibia

FROM RICHARD:
"So today was pretty cool. We woke up really early and drove about two
hours out of town to this safari place. They basically set up a tour
where they drive you out into the wilderness a ways and just drop you
off with some bushman. (By the way I think it is actually San People.)
After they drop you off the bushman guide you
back to camp and show you anything that they can as they go. They
showed us how to identify different types of animal tracks and what
leaves you can boil in an ostrich egg to make tea. They also showed
us what plant to get the poison that paralyses the animals they hunt.
The other thing they showed us was where to dig up a root that is is
FULL of water. I took a bit and it seriously quenches your thirst as
you swallow it.

It was really cool even though I knew that the Bushman that showed us
around actually wear normal clothes when they are not at work. But,
it was cool that they still know how to survive in the wild. They
even spoke the click language."

1 comment:

Loraine said...

Great pictures. Seeing my kids next to authentic African sand people is something I never dreamed of. This is so wonderful.