We had an active week this week! Lots of hands on learning!
First off, we had PE, learning more about the game of Flag Football.
The next day we joined our homeschool group for a field trip to Cornbelly's! I was lucky enough to have my mom join me to help me corral these four cute kids of mine. We went through the corn maze, played in a giant pit of corn kernels, saw pigs race, played on the farm equipment... lots of fun at a super discounted rate! Yea!!!
And then we planned a spur of the moment trip up to Logan to see our family for Fall Break (pictures in another post). Lots and lots of hands on fun this week! ;)
We did manage to get a little managed education in here and there. We read more from Robin Hood this week, and we did some worksheets that needed to be done. For math this week we changed things up and just did story books for math (an approach I haven't tried before, but was interested in doing). It was great! I checked out two books from the library, one called Grapes of Math and the other called Math For All Seasons. Both of them were picture riddle books that gave you simple story problems in the form of poems. In the poems the author gives you tips on how to group things easier for faster mental math. The kids liked them, and liked how they felt like they were learning tricks to cheat and do simple math faster. I think I'll be revisiting more books like that again in the future to mix in with the other math we do.
Also, this week I switched up the language. I decided that Latin is too much for me right now, and that teaching the kids French would be much easier. Haha! I'm such a flake! I still feel like Latin is a good idea to learn, but we'll revisit that when they're older. The kids are already more engaged in French, and it probably has to do with the energy I put off with the language, too. I love French, and at one point I was nearly fluent in it, so I light up when teaching them about it, and know my way around the language. I decided with this change we'd do the Articles of Faith, instead of Scripture Mastery to memorize and learn in French. I just looked them up in French and then we began learning the First Article of Faith in French using the song from The Children's Songbook. Since we had such a short week we'll continue learning the first one in French into next week, but they were able to pass it off in english this week.
Oh! One other thing! I almost forgot! I was debating whether I'd do anything for Columbus Day, because, really, that day never has meant anything to me. Moreover, I've gotten the impression in recent years that he wasn't worth celebrating (rumors of him being a dishonorable man). But the day before Columbus Day a friend of mine posted an article written by the church about Christopher Columbus, which offered a new view of the man. I still wasn't planning on doing anything, but Monday morning as we were doing our calendar work the kids asked me what Columbus Day was, and that led to an hour lesson on Christopher Columbus. We talked about who he was, we learned a little about maps, we learned a little about what trade was like back then, we learned a little about geography and what they thought it was like at the time, and we learned about what his part was in the restoration of the church. After our discussion, we put his picture on our timeline, and then I quickly searched for activities online and we proceeded to color pictures, do mazes, and make puppets. Kind of funny considering I had zero of that planned, even an hour before we started! haha








No comments:
Post a Comment