Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Highlight of My Week.

The highlight of my week this week wasn't "homeschool" per say, but it happened when we should have been doing "school" stuff, but weren't.  We were reading from the scriptures one morning and had a neat teaching moment.  We usually read from a book that tells the scripture stories and do that at night.  This particular day Richard had already gone to work, so instead of reading where we left off in our Book of Mormon Stories book, I picked up the real scriptures and just turned to a new story.  I chose 3 Nephi, when Christ comes.  We took turns; I read,  then had Keira read, and had Garrett repeat after me when it was his turn, and the same with Libby on her turn.  When I read verse 3 to them I was impressed to expound on it.  I asked them what voice they were hearing, and we talked about how the Holy Ghost communicates in these ways.  It's not a harsh voice, or a loud voice, but it can pierce you to your center or cause you to shake.

"3. And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn."

We went on.  Verse 4 - 6 talks about hearing, but not understanding the spirit:

"4. And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood it not.
5. And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.
6. And behold, the third time they did understand the voice which they heard;"

We stopped at that point and I pointed out how they hear it but didn't understand it.  I asked Keira,
M: "What do you hear right now?"
K: "The fish tank."
M: "Do you hear the plane flying by in the distance?"
K: "No.  Oh wait... now I do!"

To which I related how the Holy Ghost may be trying to communicate with us more than we realize, but if we're not listening for it we won't be able to understand it, or even realize he's trying to speak to us.    
It opened up a whole new conversation with Garrett and Libby asking all sorts of questions about the Holy Ghost and our spirits.  They were all engaged and interested.  They all listened quietly when we read the scriptures, and Keira and Garrett commented that they were feeling the Holy Ghost as we spoke about those things.  I pointed out how that means the Holy Ghost is telling them that what they are hearing is true.  

It was a really good conversation!  The highlight of my week!  :)

No comments: